So, it’s strange sometimes how what you intention produces something entirely different. Well, this is the case for this recipe. I went about trying to develop an amazing short rib recipe and ended up falling in love with the side dish – a medley of spicy, sautéed peppers, onions, carrots and leeks.
Spicy Veggie Medley
- 1 tablespoon of Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1 teaspoon of Crushed Garlic (2-3 cloves)
- 1 large white onion – chopped (about 3 cups)
- 2 cups of Carrots – chopped
- 3 Leeks – chopped (about 2 cups)
- 1 Red Pepper – chopped
- 1 Green Pepper – chopped
- 1 Yellow Pepper – chopped
- 2 tablespoons of Tomato Paste
- 1/4 cup of Sriracha sauce
- 2 tablespoons of Paprika (ground)
- 2 tablespoons of Cayenne (ground)
- 1 tablespoon of Italian Seasoning
- 1 tablespoon of salt
- 1/4 cup of Balsamic Vinegar
- 1/4 cup of water
Turn oven to 350 degrees.
Grab one large sautéed pan and add the Extra Virgin Olive oil. Place on the stovetop. On medium heat, warm olive oil and add garlic, onions, carrots and leeks.
Once the onions begin to be translucent, add the red, green and yellow peppers to the sauté pan. Let the vegetables cook together – about 5 minutes. Add the remaining sauces and spices (except the water) to the vegetables and stir. Continue cooking and stirring the vegetables for another (approximately) 10 minutes. The sauce with the vegetables should be getting thick at this time.
Add the vegetable mixture to an oven-safe casserole dish or cast iron pot. Add 1/4 cup of water (or you can substitute with chicken broth). Cover the dish with a top or aluminum foil. Place into the oven and bake for 30 minutes.
Like an good Irish girl, I served them with mashed potatoes. It’s a perfect pairing to cool the spiciness of the vegetables. There is a real richness to this dish and with the spice, it has many dimensions. It’s also an excellent side dish to any grilled or braised meat. This will be a Fall regular, for sure.